Friday 20 August 2010

Ouch

Every time I say 'ouch'. a very little and rather endearing hedgehog comes and curls up beside me. As I say 'ouch' a lot just now he is never far away, and he is learning to fold down his prickles so I don't get stabbed. (If you don't know about Ouch, you haven't read Urchin and the Rage Tide. Read it and meet him!)

I still hurt, but not as much as I did and I can do most things I used to do, but slowly. It takes me about half an hour to put the washing in and then I have to wait for somebody else to take it out again when it's done.

What is really touching is how good people have been. Family have helped me in and out of chairs, bed and bath. Lovely younger son and the lassie brought me chocolate coffee beans. Wonderful Daphne brought flowers, her own excellent company, and good conversation. Godchildren and their parents brought pain relief spray, flowers, chocolate, laughter, fun and very gentle hugs. The three year old blew me kisses from a safe distance.

Lovely older son had a day off yesterday, so Hairy Husband dropped us off at a pleasant cafe where we could sit outside for a drink in the sunshine. Little things become very valuable when you're crocked.

And many of you have send kind messages, too, which touch me and make me feel very cared about. Thank you.

And more than anything, this has made me think of my heroine the late Jane Tomlinson and all those people who face far worse than this, every day, and come through shining.

No comments: