Wednesday 24 November 2010

Padra, Much and me

PADRA

First real frost last night. I went to look in on Margi of the Stories, as her home seems to slip in and out of Mistmantle. I don't want her losing her footing on a frozen patch whens he goes down to gather the holly for the Advent wreaths, she's still not right yet. The berries are still on the holly trees, so the birds aren't that desperate yet. Nice crisp cold swim before breakfast, and a good roll on the grass to get warm and dry again.

MUCH

Nice chap, that otter. Stopped for a chat after 'is swim. Swim! You wouldn't get me in there, nor me snail neither. Looks grand from 'ere, frost on the rooftops, and I don't feel the cold, being stone. I said to that otter, 'er can put some salt on them steps if 'er wants to break up the frost. So long as she don't get no salt near me snail. All right, e's a stone snail, it won't do 'im no harm, but that ain't the point. It's not polite, is it?

ME

Just back from two days in Cardiff with Daughter. We went to a very happy Shoebox service at her church (people handing in their Christmas Child boxes for children living in extreme poverty. I think these ones were destined for Romania.) We spent a happy evening with Daughter's Cardiff family including the adorable dogs and an unusually affectionate cat. (One day I will kidnap that wee dog and keep him as a footwarmer.)

In the afternoon we went with Daughter's young man to St Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life, one of those outdoor museums with reconstructed houses from different periods of history. It's a wonderful place and well worth a visit. Enlightening. Those houses are lovely from the outside, but they're dark, cramped and cold. Have no illusions about the good old days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very please to see more blogs from Mistmantle. My family and I would love to read the final accounts of the chronicles, but have been unable to get a copy. Please send good wishes to all in Mistmantle from our family.

margaret mcallister said...

Harry, contact me on the e-mail address on the website and I'll see what I can do

Margi