Friday 25 March 2011

good stuff

I think Tony and I have achieved a lot lately. Well, little things, but they make me feel big.

About 7.30 on Wednesday night we were just about to get into the car when we saw something roundish in the middle of the road. On closer inspection it was exactly what we thought it must be - a hedgehog, waking up because of the sudden warm weather and a bit clueless about where it was and what it was supposed to do. We were just in time to stop the traffic. Tony stood there and guided the cars round it while I found something to pick it up with (it was a very prickly one) and put it out of harm's way. I left some cat food out that night, but it was left untouched. Stay safe, little hedgehog.

Then I liberated two very old stoneware drainpipes. Drainpipes, yes, but so big and solid that they looked like chimney pots. They were outside a house that's being renovated, so I made some enquiries and was told I'd be welcome to take them away. Why do I want drainpipes? To grow things in, of course. They can stand on opposite sides of the door, or the garden, like sentinels, but with aubretia cascading out of them. Or, then again, I have a friend who keeps ferrets...

Then, when I was at after-school club, Tony did a tip trip. I can now go down into the cellar without wondering what I'm going to fall over, and finally...

It was such a beautiful afternoon that we took all the children out for a story walk. As soon as we found a big clear stretch of grass something went ping in their brains, and it was like unleashing a lot of puppies. They ran, they chased, they tumbled - oh, how they must have needed that! I think it was the most rewarding moment of my week.

No comments: