Monday 11 April 2011

quote, unquote

Lovely sunny weekend. Attended to garden flowers in the afternoon and made paper ones for wedding garlands in the evening, while watching 'Lewis'.

A sharp-eyed correspondent just pointed out that I no longer have quotes on the website. That's because they were on a loop and coming round yet again, and I thought they might become tedious. Also, they were geared up to fit in with times and seasons, and no longer do. The Easter ones will be totally out of sync this year. (Or 'ut of sunc') as I typed first time round.)

At some time I will work my way round to another lot - but setting up the first round I found it surprisingly difficult to find quotes that were the right sort of length and would appeal to a wide range of people. It was much harder than I expected.

Some of my favourite quotes are those family sayings that don't really mean much to anyone else. Every time I pick up a hammer and a nail I remember Lovely Younger Son at two years old, following me about as I put up the Christmas decorations, saying 'Mummy bang bang wiff a hammer'. That's very advanced for a child approaching his second birthday, but its charm wears off when he's been saying it all day. It's now gone into family speak. Yesterday he helped me to put up a new washing line (glamorous life, being a writer), but no hammers were required.

No comments: