Tuesday 10 May 2011

I couldn't possibly tell you

I've done a lot of work today on a book I might write. But like all works in progress I can't say anything about it at this stage, so instead I'll tell you something else.

Last night I found a cow in my handbag. It mooed.

The cow was not altogether unfamiliar to me. The previous afternoon I had spent a couple of hours looking after the Golden Child and her big brother, and the cow is part of a farmyard set they have. We had been playing at hiding things and finding them again. This meant that the GC always put my keys in the same place and I had to find them and be greatly surprised, and she found this hilariously funny. Clearly she hadn't quite got the concept of hiding things. But how did the cow get into my handbag?

You will be glad to know that I phoned her father this morning to let him know about the whereabouts of the cow, and it hadn't been missed.

This morning, coming back from physio, I ran for a bus. This may seem like nothing to you. You may be accustomed to run for fun, for your life, for parliament or for president, but I ran for a bus. It's the first time I've run, I mean really run, since I injured my back, and what's more, I caught it. But only because the driver stopped for me.

PS to American readers - what we call a handbag is a purse in the US, yes? So what do you call the thing you keep your money in, because we call that a purse?

2 comments:

Rina said...

Some of us call it a wallet or a coin purse. I just call it a purse too. But you're right, that's confusing.

margaret mcallister said...

And the sidewalk is the pavement and the trunk of the car is the boot! A walkway under the road used to be an underpass, but now we've come round to US practice and call it a subway. At present Britain is having a craze of cupcakes - but we called them fairy cakes when I was a girl!