Friday 20 May 2011

rumbling in the valley

The trouble with snoring is that you don't know if you're doing it or not, unless, of course, you come out with such a roar of a snore that you wake yourself up. I've just bought ear plugs.

But last night, babysitting for the Golden Child and her brother, I was really a bit alarmed. When it was time for her brother to go to bed we tiptoed up the stairs very quietly so as not to wake her up, but honestly, if she could sleep through her own snores, she could sleep through a Harley Davidson with a dodgy exhaust roaring through the nursery. I sat with her until her breathing was calmer and she had a little murmur to herself in her sleep. Her mum told me later that the GC always snores like this when she's teething, poor little thing.

I feel a story coming on. The princess who snores so loudly that everyone moves out of the castle? A boy who goes on a quest to find a cure for his little sister's snoring? The Champion Snore Contest? Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Deborah said...

Margi, how funny you should bring up snoring.
I have a beautiful red parrot called Darcy. She is so smart and so very observant!
I'm afraid that sometimes after work, I will catch a short nap on the couch. It wasn't long after I began this routine that I noticed each time I would just sit on the couch, Darcy would begin making this horrible sound over and over. Yes, to my shame, it was Snoring!

margaret mcallister said...

A snoring parrot! Wonderful! Why Darcy?

Deborah said...

I love English lit and Jane Austen. Her proper name is Mrs. Darcy, but Darcy just suits her.

margaret mcallister said...

I did wonder! As you said it was a female parrot, I knew it couldn't be the very desirable Mr Darcy. I knew a girl who called her spaniel Darcy after him!

If you ever come to the UK, you can visit Jane Austen's cottage in Chawton, Hampshire. It is so simple and charming. You're not supposed to touch her table, but I did.

Deborah said...

I do plan to visit the UK one day. There are so may places there I want to see and Jane Austen's cottage is ON the list!
Wasn't it something to touch the table Jane Austen had touched all those years ago?!
Touching the past.....there could be a story there, Margi!

margaret mcallister said...

It did feel like touching a sacred object! If only I could pick up something of her exquisite touch!

They also have a replica piano (or is it a spinet?) which they allow you - in fact encourage you - to play!

Story - I'm thinking!