Monday 23 May 2011

stuck

I should have asked Fingal, Corr, and Needle. They know all about sticky traps.

I recently bought some sticky stuff to keep the greenfly off the roses. The idea is, you hang it up close to the rose bed and the greenfly stick to it. The instructions, which I followed to the letter, said something like 'peel off protective cover from sticky thing. Hang sticky thing near roses'.

Now, you, being clever - or any of the three intelligent animals named above - would spot the mistake. I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and didn't. It ought to say ' hang the sticky thing near roses, then peel off the protective cover'.

The sticky stuff really works. My sleeve stuck to it, and my left hand, then my right hand when tried to get the right one off. It stuck the wire thing I was using to hang it up, then it stuck to me again. Never mind, I'll know better next time, assuming that it works and there is a next time.

After a stormy night, it's caught two greenfly and a rose bush.

5 comments:

Rina said...

Those are horror to long hair. I know 'cause I have had some experience with them in dog kennels. Let's just say I need to improve my ducking skills.

Deborah said...

You need some ladybugs. They prey on the aphids. When I was a little girl, my Grandma told me that ladybugs bring you good luck! She was a farmer's wife. Now I see the wisdom of the words and why she was partial to ladybugs. :)

margaret mcallister said...

Rina - ouch! That one never occurred to me. My hair is bobbed now, so they didn't catch me.

Deborah - I do need ladybugs (ladybirds here). Unfortunately they're aren't many around just now, even though I'm happy to give them free board and lodging. But if I do get any, I'll have to take the sticky traps away, 'cos I don't want to catch the ladybirds.

That's a thought. Disposing of stickies. How do you throw them away?

Kaitlin said...

On disposing the stickies--I've dusted them them with soil before throwing them away. That way, they don't get attached to a random animal nosing through trash!
Or maybe, you could wrap the sticky around itself, and then dispose of it?
Best wishes!

margaret mcallister said...

Brilliant, Kaitlin. Thank you!