Thursday 29 September 2011

angel day

Today is the Feat of St Michael and All Angels, and I've always loved it. Autumn, hawthorn berries, late sunshine, and angels all around.

Some years, it's been frosty on Michaelmas Day. Today it's scorching, everybody's wearing t-shirts and shades and slapping on the sun block, and summer flowers don't know if they're coming or going. The tomatoes, which had almost given up, are now blushing like schoolboys. It makes me wonder if this is to be the pattern for years to come - a fine spring, a wet summer, and a late September summer.

I want a Campaign for Real Weather. Light spring breezes, beautiful summer days, misty autumns and snow in winter. But then what would the English find to talk about?

3 comments:

Rina said...

Across the water from you, we actually had snow on March 1st either this year or last year... I forget. Peculiar stuff, weather is.

Kaitlin said...

Oh, weather. I've given up trying to understand it! Some of us have given up on "gently falling leaves" in autumn...instead, we enjoy "gently" swirling dust storms!

margaret mcallister said...

I've known snow at Easter before! Kaitlin, I am so sorry to hear about your dust storms. Our freak summer weather isn't doing farmers any good. It's October and about 27 degrees.

I'll just have to force myself to enjoy it, I suppose...