Wednesday 12 October 2011

Duck's DInner

As the rain pours down and the river fills up, the ducks are gathering just on the other side of the fence. A couple of blackcaps dart in and out of the hedge. The holly berries are turning red, and the mist in the valley makes me think of Mistmantle.

The ducks, however, are presenting me with a problem. I was firmly told by a child at the after school club that you shouldn't feed them bread, it's not good for them and it swells up in their stomachs. I've checked out the subject, and she's right, which means the kids and I must have done for a few of them over the years. To atone for this - and avoid sinking any more of them - I need to feed them the stuff they feed to chickens. So where do I find that? I have a couple of chicken keeping friends, but I always thought they fed the chickens on scraps. What do chickens like?

Besides, ducks are supposed to like fruit, which is good for them. Not these ducks. I threw them some left over pears once and they turned up their offended little beaks in disgust. I'd like to bet I could give them Best Hen Feed by Royal Appointment to Prince Charles's Chickens and they'd want Co-op white sliced instead.

And for all those of you longing to hear about the Archers - Susan's Bad Brother Clive is out of prison and living nearby. As Clive previously raided the village shop, gave Jack Woolley a heart attack, and one way or another managed to attack or terrorise the entire Archer clan, David is not pleased. Showdown time!

3 comments:

Rina said...

Wow - I never heard that about ducks either! We used to give them crackers. And I was once caught feeding them the seeds out of my multigrain bread... when I was little and wouldn't eat the seeds myself.

Deborah said...

Who knew??!!

I looked on the web (haha) and found these suggestions:
* Cracked corn
* Wheat
* Barley
* Oats
* Milo
* Birdseed
* Grapes (cut in half)
* Frozen peas or corn (defrosted)
* Earthworms
* Chopped lettuce
* Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)

margaret mcallister said...

Crackers should be OK! I now have a picture in my head of a little girl pulling the seeds out of her bread and giving them to the very appreciative ducks. I'm sure it did them the world of good.

Deborah, thanks, that's brilliant. The ducks are in for a treat. There should be a domain name called webducks.com