Sunday 4 December 2011

Sheep and Sweater

Sheep in a Sweater! Sheep in a Sweater!

That's what was in my Advent Calendar today, so thank you, LOS and Lady Sunshine. (By the way, I realise that in my previous Advent Calendar post I put LYS instead of LOS. As faithful readers know, it's Lovely Older Son who is married to Lady Sunshine, and Lovely Younger Son who is with The Lassie. Woohoo, the Lassie's coming over tomorrow. WE MUST HAVE CAKE!)

To get back to the point - Tony and I were playing a game recently making up pub names. The Sheep and Sweater sounds pretty good to me.

For those across the Pond, British pubs are often called after royalty or local dignitaries - The Devonshire Arms, the Queen's Arms, The King's Head, etc. Then there are the traditional names, The Dog and Duck, The Pig and Whistle, The White Swan, the Black Bull. Occasionally you get something more original like The Dog and Ferret, or the Goat and Nightgown.

So there we were, making up silly but plausible pub names. The Pint and Poodle, the Ferret and Catapult, The Elephant and Mango. The Wilted Spinach. The Duke of Oxford's Elbow. The Weasel and Trombone. The Fallen Arches.

My favourite up to now? The Ruptured Hernia.

Your turn.

4 comments:

Rina said...

I once thought The Smug Crow would work...

margaret mcallister said...

And didn't it? We were making up clerical ones today, The Bishop's Pew, the Grumpy Monk...

Kaitlin said...

After reading your (wonderful!) post, the Sheepish Wolf popped into my brain...that, and the Goblin's Goblet...but "Sheep and Sweater" and "The Smug Crow" sound brilliant to me!

margaret mcallister said...

The Sheepish Wolf - I'd definitely have a drink there. There was one in Bristol called 'Auntie's', presumably so that the men could say to their wives, 'I'm just going to Auntie's, darling!'