Wednesday 4 January 2012

Sigh

A little sad yesterday, as Daughter's holiday was over and she went back to Cardiff. It's been a good Christmas, but whenever she goes away I feel we haven't spend enough time together. And it wasn't a good day to travel, with the storm bullying her all the way to Cardiff.

'I'm fine,' she said calmly when she phoned later. 'Except it was raining so hard when I drove past the lake that I couldn't tell the lake from the road.'

It doesn't bear thinking about, does it? But now, because I know she's safe and because I'm writing the blog, I'm imagining it in a Mistmantle adventure - The Rage Tide, a resourceful small animal struggling against the storm, trying to get to safety and all the time staying calm and steady. I am very impressed by my determined little red squirrel.

We've had wild weather here, but it's nothing to what they've had in Scotland. There are pictures of the worst of it on the BBC website. And by the way, 'lang may your lum reek' means 'long may your chimney smoke'. It's a wish that you'll always have enough fuel for your fire.

May the good creatures of Mistmantle and all our sons and daughters, and the old and the frail, be warm this winter.

2 comments:

Rina said...

"Couldn't tell the lake from the road..."
Phew. I like that phrase, though the situation is definitely appreciated better from inside something!

margaret mcallister said...

It is possibly the scariest thing she's ever told me! I'm impressed by her calmness.