Tuesday 21 February 2012

Home Again

Saturday and Sunday, we were staying near Abingdon, an Oxfordshire market town. The very comfortable Bed and Breakfast we stayed in was supplied almost entirely with locally produced food, and the bread was all homemade. Why did the chicken cross the road? To lay eggs for Tony's breakfast.

After an exciting day with godchildren we drove over to Cardiff to see Daughter and hear the choir she sings in. They're entering a competition and I was there as a movement coach, but I was so blown away by the music it was hard to concentrate on what their feet were doing. And finally, today, we came home via a break at Tewkesbury for a visit to the abbey and the best coffee and walnut cake in the world.(Don't tell my mum I said that.)

Hamilton came with us, and had a wonderful time. He was admired by the lady at Abingdon, and sat watching TV and reading while we were out. He couldn't wait to see Daughter again, supervised rehearsal, and played with all the complimentary teas and coffees while we were having breakfast.

Speaking of coffee, I've just had my last one before Easter.Giving up coffee for Lent (if I manage it) isn't going to change the world, but it will remind me about Lent and mean that I am in control of coffee, not the other way round.

And what will I take up for Lent? Springing out of bed at first light, greeting the day with joy and laughter, taking the first breaths of early morning air while the village sleeps. Or maybe just rolling out of bed and on to the floor only half an hour after the alarm rings. It would be an improvement.

No comments: