Tuesday 28 February 2012

That quiet charming woman

Believe it or not, somebody once referred to me as 'that quiet charming woman', but mind you, he'd only met me once. Today, I don't know about charming, but I was brilliant at the quiet bit.

The cold went to my voice. By yesterday midday I had decided that I'd be all right to do my long-planned visit to Baines Endowed School in Thornton Cleveleys today. At nine o'clock this morning I was a bit hoarse, but the first classes were easy. By the afternoon, I was asking the teachers to read from TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL, HAMMY THE WONDER HAMSTER, and URCHIN OF THE RIDING STARS. Due to the amazing technology they have in schools now, I was able to answer children's questions by typing on a keyboard connected to a screen.

Technology is all very well, but a school depends on the commitment of its staff and pupils, and that was pinging everywhere. I met lovely keen, responsive children who liked books, liked writing, listened to each other as well as to me and their teachers. Walking round the school, there were signs everywhere of enthusiasm, and that's a great thing. I walked past maps of the Roman Empire, brilliant Celtic artwork, stained glass windows, banners, and penguins, and that was just on the way to the staff room. Clearly this a school where they pick up a topic and make the most of it. A good place to be. I would shout about it, but all I can do is whisper.

No comments: