Thursday 8 March 2012

And then she said...

Inspire - in a church tower. Only she didn't say it, she texted it. Daughter has suddenly risen to the New Definitions game, and texted that one to me. I had to respond, so I came up with

Retire - change the wheel, and she said

Condescending - conservatives going down, followed by

Internet - when the fishes are caught in Yorkshire. (If you don't get that one, you haven't read previous blogs about t'Yorkshire dialect.) I had to think for a bit, then I found my best one yet -

Ecology - the study of squeaks. She said

Building - William the percussionist, and at that point we both went back to work.

There was another wee text that I sent today. I texted SWIM to 70005. This might not mean anything in the US, but UK readers might know that it's about David Walliams.

David Walliams didn't become famous as a swimmer, he's a comedian. He must also be a man with a big heart, because he has visited street children in Kenya and cares passionately about what becomes of them. That's why he did a sponsored Channel Swim. Then, last year, he swam 140 miles down the Thames to London in eight days, fighting exhaustion, cold, cramp, pain, appalling weather, and illness - there are some unspeakable bacteria lurking in Thames water. There was a lot of publicity about it at the time, and he raised one million pounds. Now that Sport Relief is beginning in earnest, there's just been a documentary on TV about it which makes you want to carry the man shoulder high to a knighthood. It also makes you want to text SWIM to 70005. That's another fiver going to where it's needed.

4 comments:

Rina said...

Hmm. Disparity - when the store is out of pears?

margaret mcallister said...

Love it! So then I had to think of another one, and thought of

abundance - a very messy party

Kaitlin said...

I so love this game! What about:

laughingstock - very happy cows

San said...

Castanet - a fisherman...?