Sunday 1 April 2012

Corbridge

Corbridge in Northumberland is one of the most beautiful villages I know. We took the Lassie (LYS's girlfriend) there yesterday so she could see some of the places where he drove us round the twist when he was a little lad. Should you ever find yourself in this lovely place, I suggest you walk down to the bridge and look down on the shallow, quiet stretch of water. Walk back up to the market cross and go into the the parish church, which has survived through thirteen centuries of war, invasion, plague, wind, weather, and vicars. It's the place that inspired my first book, and I am eternally grateful to so many of my Corbridge friends.

By now, you need refreshment. You could buy something to eat from Grants, who make superlative bread and cakes, and Stobo's, the best greengrocers I've ever been to, and have a picnic by the river. Or you could pop into No 6 for something to eat. Either way, you won't be disappointed. Or you could go to the Larder. Or Tea and Tipple, which I haven't visited, but I'm told it's very good.

If you feel you've eaten too much, you can always walk it off with a stroll along the river. You may be exceptionally lucky and see a red squirrel. The home page of my website is the house where we lived, all those years ago, and that's Yo-yo running up and down the tree.

Speaking of red squirrels -

- to all of you who are on holiday for Easter (I think that's the right word for your Spring Festival) may you thoroughly enjoy it! Every good wish and the blessing of the Heart upon you from Crispin Swanrider and Cedar the Queen.

No comments: