Thursday 3 May 2012

Polling Day

Today the nation went to vote.  At least, some of us did.  To those who didn't bother - YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT WHOEVER GETS ELECTED!

It wasn't a general election, where you vote for a government.  This was the local election, where you choose the town or parish councillors.  So I'm going to challenge myself to get as many election-related words into the blog as I can.

Our church hall was a polling station today, so we had voted to take the toddler group to a local soft play place instead.  They were very accommodating and laid on liberal amounts of toast and juice, and we all elected to go there again soon.  By the time we were finished there, the vicar and I had to ward off the pangs of hunger so we went to have lunch, and I called in at the polling station to vote on the way home.

There was just time for a bit of labouring over the computer before I had to go out again, this time for a charity fund-raising do at the Leeds franchise of L K Bennett. I went with The Lassie, LYS's girlfriend, who was the ideal candidate for a fun evening out, because she handed in her dissertation today and needed a celebration.  (I forget what the word count was, but believe me, it was a lot, even at a conservative estimate.)  We had a happy evening surrounded by beautiful clothes and you wouldn't believe how much money we saved by not buying shoes.  I did try to write a bit on the train home, but there were a lot of spoiled papers by the time I got off the train, was met by Tony, and gave him a big

X





2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Hello, Mrs. McAllister! A few days ago, my mind was trailing off while at class...and my professor chose that moment to scratch a word onto the "blackboard" (ours is actually a white dry erase board)...The word was "approaches"--and I immediately thought of the game you and your daughter started!

approaches: bugs or viruses that infect mobile phones upon being purchased.

I'm not sure if the lingo it's composed of is chiefly American, so here's a "Spoiler"--
("Apps" as in "applications," and "roaches" as in the insects, not the fish!)

Have a wonderful day!

margaret mcallister said...

Hi Kaitlin - yes, we have apps in the UK, and roaches too, I'm afraid! You got me thinking about insects, so what about

'beforehand - the bees are playing tennis'