Monday 7 May 2012

Unseasonal

Kailtlin has just revived the 'new definitions' game - see her comment from a few blogs back.   Once you start thinking of new definitions you see them everywhere, so the heading of this blog, 'unseasonal', means 'this soup is insipid.'.

After church yesterday morning (talking about vines and eating grapes), Tony, god-daughter and I went to the cinema to see 'The Pirates!  In an adventure with scientists!'.  It was brilliantly funny and clever, one of those films that you want to watch again because some of it was so fast paced and funny that you think you might have missed some visual gag when you blinked.  Queen Victoria and Charles Darwin must be spinning in their graves, though.

Sadly, today we had to our lovely god-daughter to the station and put her on the train home.  A couple of hours ago she texted to say that she was back safely, which is a relief, as today is a Bank Holiday here, and Bank Holiday trains come and go when they feel like it.  Just before we left, the lady on the radio said that today was 'colder than Christmas Day'.  Didn't I tell you!  Unseasonal!

But it's been fun at the House of Stories.  My small friend Lucy brought her mummy to tea, and Lucy had a lovely time sorting shapes, putting Daughter's baby doll to bed, and sharing her drink of juice with a puppet.  She gave Hamilton a growly voice and handed him to her mum.  At two and a half she's quite chatty and sings in tune.

As she was looking out at the garden and asking about it, Tony took her out there.   I think they lasted two minutes before he had to bring her back in.  That rain was like ice.  Did I tell you it was unsea....


7 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Mrs. McAllister--
Goodness! I'm still in a bit of a whirl from the deadly combination of "unseasonal" And "beforehand!" Lovely!

This one isn't at all on the same level...but how about:

relate: to be tardy again

I can relate to your weather-woes! We had a twister(just a small one) go through today...some trees and an unfortunate roof were quite blown away!

Blown away...that describes my brain at the moment, as I scrape for ideas! Thanks for the definitions, and for brightening my day!

margaret mcallister said...

Relate - yes!

Buttery - where they keep the goats

A twister - wow - we don't get those here, or only very small ones. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that.)

How's the ideas hunt going?

San said...

Hi Margi! I love this game; here are some of mine:

foliage - enemy bushes
fallacy - a mirage of an ocean

Not sure if I've got the hang of it, but it's a good workout for my brain, haha.

And wow unseasonal indeed! Hope things calm down soon!

Our summer weather's looking very bipolar at the moment, it's blistering hot one day and all dreary and rainy the next.

By the way, could I ask a favor? Mothers' Day is coming up for us, and I'm trying to surprise my mom by collecting greetings for her; would it be okay if you wrote her a short message? Her name is Connie and she's a really big fan of the Mistmantle books :) it'd mean a lot to her if you could! Thank you so much!

margaret mcallister said...

Hi Sannie! Your 'foliage' got me thinking of 'foment' - 'my enemy really intended to do that'. Whizz your mother's e-mail address to me and I'll send her a message - I'm honoured to be asked!

San said...

Hi Margi, thank you so much! Is it okay if you email it to me instead, and I'll forward it to her? She might delete it by accident, she's forever clearing out her inbox

dream_minoruk197@yahoo.com

Thank you thank you!

And I'm running out of new definitions, but I thought of some rather bad authors' name puns the other day:

You can keep your kindling in a P.G. Woodhouse
You can decorate your table with a Sir Arthur Conan Doily
And you can stop your horse with an Evelyn Whoa!

Kaitlin said...

Mrs. McAllister--
A happy Mother's Day to you! Wishing you and yours His blessings, and thanking Him for the stories you've blessed so many (both mothers and children!) with.

How goes the ideas hunt? It goes...

owed: (verb, past tense)--complained as if in pain

decent: to remove the value from American pocket change

margaret mcallister said...

Oh, help, you're too good -

illustrate - thin, and feeling even worse than I was,

and an old one of my father's

influenza - what happened when I opened the window