Tuesday 6 November 2012

Flabbergasted

Today I am utterly flabbergasted.

An envelope dropped through the letterbox today with a New York postmark. It was forwarding some readers' letters to me, but I think they must have been misplaced somewhere along the way because some of them were written quite a while ago. If any of you are waiting for a letter from me, I'm so sorry, but I only received yours today. I am typing like mad to catch up. If you know anybody who's complaining about That Nasty Englishwoman Who Never Answers Letters, please pass this on to them.

The most efficient way to contact me is through the e-mail address on the website. I do like e-mail. It's one of those wonderful inventions, like self-seal envelopes and microchips for dogs.

I write this at nearly 11.00 pm British time, very mindful of the great events in the US. Anybody staying up all night to watch the results?

Daughter, by the way, has lived in Wales so long now that she gets to vote in their elections too. This reminds me of the general election the summer after she and her twin brother were born, when I wheeled the double pram along to the polling station with my poll card tucked into the side of the mattress. By the time we got there, she'd eaten most of it.

It wasn't catastrophic, because you don't actually need your poll card to vote. Which is just as well, as what was left of it wasn't too pretty.

2 comments:

Nels said...

I'll be up watching! Voted for the first time today, very exciting

margaret mcallister said...

The year I was eighteen, there was a general election three months before my birthday, so I couldn't vote in that one. But there was another one six months later!