Monday 31 December 2012

Last

This is our last Christmas and New Year in the present House of Stories. Next summer we are on the move, and I'll tell you more about that as the year goes on.

So this is the last time I will go to the Watch Night Service at the village church, the last time I'll have to stand well back while the churchwarden sets off fireworks, and the last New Year I'll join whoever else is jumping up and down on the bridge to make it wobble. (Yes, really.) Whoever lives in this house next winter, I hope they feed the ducks.

So, before I go out to see the Old Year out and the New Year in, what have been my best memories of 2012?

An exciting new project with a publisher I haven't worked with before, and they are great to be with. You'll hear all about it soon.

LYS's LLM and Daughter's engagement

The Chelsea Flower Show with Lady Sunshine

Getting back together with Helen, who I haven't seen since schooldays

Staying at Burrswood

The little West Scotland Bay where we stayed on holiday

Barter Books in Alnwick

Anglesey, my pearl and the red squirrels

Storytelling

Discovering new books, some of which have been recommended by you

Meeting ponies, more red squirrels and various hedgehogs

Oh, and buying a house. That was a bit exciting.

There have been some rubbish things this year, too - no summer, just torrential rain and flooding, friends moving away and the death of my great friend Sandie. Which brings me back to where I started, because Rev Sandie never did go to Watch Night Service. She was Scottish, and her family couldn't get their heads around the idea of spending Hogmanany in church. She'll be at a great party tonight.

How was your year?




No comments: