Friday 21 December 2012

The Riverbank



Today started amazingly. After days of rain, a few ducks were huddled on the riverbank at the bottom of the garden at the House of Stories. I left the back door open while I went down with a tub full of duck food. When I first squelched my way down there were five mallards and a little white Aylesbury, and by the time I'd finished they were beyond counting.

Back at the house, I found the postman had left today's post on the mat. It included a parcel from Amazon, which was puzzling, because I hadn't ordered anything.

I am so blessed! It was a completely out of the blue present from YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, an enchantingly illustrated edition of one of my favourite books, The Wind in the Willows. I have marvelled at the illustrations, the producton, the familiar and perfectly written story, and the kindness of the giver. She is too far away to hug, but I keep hugging the book.

This evening I still have to finish decorating, cook cranberries, and prepare for the Nativity rehearsal tomorrow. Tomorrow I have to collect a cake, take rehearsal, prepare for church on Sunday, and make up some beds because - yippee! - Daughter and her Chap are coming on Sunday. But in between times you will find me curled up reading about the Wild Wood and Christmas at Mole End, and I might even tell the ducks about 'up tails all'.

No comments: