Friday 15 March 2013

Gifted

Thank you to those who submitted stunningly good offerings for 'silicone'. You might like to know that my basil plant is syllable put nearly dead, and a donation is on its way to Comic Relief.

Years ago, people used to say that very able children didn't need extra help because they always do well. That's daft. If they're not doing well, how do you know if they're very able or not? Lots of children hide their talents because they don't want to be conspicuous, or get teased about being teacher's pet.

Thankfully we now have provision for Gifted and Talented pupils, and I spent Thursday working with Gifted and Talented children in Thornaby-on-Tees. What a great day we had! The children were selected from six different schools in the area, and I had a whole day working with 37 keen, hard-working young writers. There was no need for them to hide their light - they were a like-minded group, which always helps, doesn't it? In the morning we played with descriptions, words, rhymes, poetry and characters. They came up with work which was sharp, funny, well expressed, and, especially, original. In the afternoon I let them loose on Cinderella.

What if? Always a good question for a writer. What if Cinderella doesn't like the prince? What if he doesn't like her? What if she isn't really the nice one at all? How do you want the story to turn out? What sort of story do you want to write - a fantasy, an adventure, an animal story, sci-fi, a murder mystery? Write your own Cinderella.

The originality was stunning. We had a strapping big footballing Cinderella, a llama Cinderella, a lion Cinderella, a Cinderella who worked in a chain store. We had confident, consistent style. We had that precious commodity, enthusiasm, and we had it by the ton. And we laughed a lot.

But before any of that could happen there were teachers and parents who encouraged these children to love reading, stories, books. Let's all do what we can for all the other children who could be keen readers and writers if only they found their way into the world of books.

6 comments:

JonnyK44 said...

We write a lot in my class, and we have written quite a bit about Mistmantle. I will have to scan some of the really good ones to send to you. Huzzah to you for working with young writers!
I couldn't agree more about gifted students (AT - Academically Talented in America) needing a true outlet for their gifts. In our school, we have an AT program for students who need the extra push....well, we did. A few years ago, lawyers got involved and now "Gifted" is a legal term. It's defined by a certain level of IQ, as well as performance on standardized tests and a demonstration of need. No longer can teachers recommend students based on their instincts. Instead, they have to recommend and then leave it up to the tests to determine whether the student gets into the program or not (fewer qualify now). What's sad is that many of the students who need the extra enrichment are not good at taking tests. So it goes with being brilliant I guess.
One great writing tip that I use with my kids is a tip that I stole from Gooney Bird Greene (by Lois Lowry). In the story, she recommends adding the word "suddenly" whenever you get stuck. If your story hits a snag, and you don't know where to go, put a "suddenly" in there and a whole world of possibilities open back up.

Nina Ruth Bruno said...

I need a "suddenly" in my own story, right about now! :-) I reckon The Heart is very good at introducing 'suddenlies..."

margaret mcallister said...

Jonny, I would love to read some of your class's work. What a shame that the AT system has been hi-jacked. The children I worked with weren't chosen for being high achievers generally, but just keen and able writers. There are programmes for sports gifted kids, too, who may not shine at all academically.

'Suddenly' is good! So is 'where on earth did that/he/she come from?'

Nina - the thing about 'suddenlys' is that they come when you're not looking for them! So does happiness...

JonnyK44 said...

Gifted programs for sports? Wow!

Nina Ruth Bruno said...

I raise my glass of cordial in a hearty (and/or Heart-y) Amen! :-)

On another note, just got my copy of Women of the Bible! Lovely! I cannot wait to share with my nieces!

I think I shall wear purple more often! :-)

margaret mcallister said...

Thanks for buying the book - I know what you mean about purple! BTW, Lady Sunshine, the Lassie and I all like purple too, so perhaps we were meant to be royalty!