Monday 1 April 2013

Sunshiney Easter

Yesterday the sun came out for Easter. It was still only about five degrees above freezing, but it was sunny. I knew that the Sunshines were joining us for lunch but I was very happily surprised when they turned up at our church first. There I was, with both my boys and their amazing ladies, and knowing that Daughter and Daughter's Chap were living Easter to the full in South Wales. Sometimes I just want to sing the Magnificat.

(Magnificat - the kitty is stuck to my fridge door)


Anyway, I was surprised and a bit disappointed that we didn't sing 'Thine be the Glory' at church this morning, so we sang it at home when it was time to say grace. Then I added something on the lines of 'and thank you God for lunch' to which Lady Sunshine added 'Amen, nom'. This is probably the perfect response to grace before meals and should be added to all prayer books immediately. We tried out the new cooking pot (the Remoska) and it worked and nothing blew up, although I did stick a very impressive firework candle in the cheesecake. It looked spectacular, nothing caught fire, and it didn't do the cheesecake (or us) any harm.

It was a bit cold for going out anywhere so at some point in the afternoon Lady Sunshine got out the Scrabble set and challenged LOS. This was very brave of Lady Sunshine, as she can't spell. She is a wise and clever lady and understands so much about the human brain that I really wish I had one, but spelling is one of those things that you either have or you don't. She doesn't.

By the time they were halfway through, LOS was so thoroughly outplaying his wife that I knew I had to come in on her side. So, of course, LYS had to come in on his brother's side. Before we knew where we were - and boy, we put up a fight - the lads had got all their letters on the board at once, (50 extra points) with 'toreador'and we were utterly vanquished. (It's a silly game anyway.)

We were quite disconsolate. So we ate a few mini eggs and now we're perfectly consolate, thank you.

5 comments:

Rina said...

...Slightly off-topic, but here's a new word for the word game:
Research - what we do when we've lost something for the second time

JonnyK44 said...

April 1st is April Fool's Day (do they do April Fool's in England?). Anyway, as a prank on my students I told them that a rare bird called the Loof Lirpa was migrating through the area, and that they could call the bird by using the magical Native American words Owahh, Tafoo, Lie-Am. I took them outside and had them calling the bird in increasingly louder voices. It was only after having them hop on one foot, or pat their heads and rub their bellies while while chanting the words that I helped them...Owahh, Tafoo, Lie-Am...Owahht Afool Ie am, Oh what, a fool, I am.

Nina Ruth Bruno said...

:-)

margaret mcallister said...

Rina - and what about 'recharge' - what soldiers do if they get it wrong the first time

Jonny - that is genius. We do have April Fool here, there was a report going round about the benefits of drinking chicken milk

JonnyK44 said...

I will send you the "National Geographic Article" that I handed out to the students.