Tuesday 7 January 2014

Are you OK?


In the UK - Somerset, Dorset, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Aberystwyth

In the US - Chicago, New York, Washington, Indiana

These are the places mentioned on the ten o'clock news tonight, but I know there are many more. Parts of the UK are suffering from unprecedented storms and flooding. Coastal defences aren't up to the level of high tides, storm winds and bucketing rain that we've had since the turning of the year. There are reports of Somerset villages cut off, and I've no idea how farmers are able to get to their animals. Heaven help the under-insured.

Northumberland hasn't been hit too badly this time, but that rain has been raging down. The coat I wore for a fifteen minute walk home on Sunday still hasn't completely dried.

In the US, where I know many of you are, it's freezing temperatures, snow and ice. Roads are impassable. Not everyone can get to school or to work. What about the poor, who can't afford to turn the heating on?

So wherever you are, what I want to know is - are you OK?

4 comments:

Kaitlin said...

So glad that you're well, Mrs. McAllister! My corner of Texas is near to Gulf of Mexico, so our climes are still quite manageable. We don't have any snow over here, just cold, blowing, wet. It's been near freezing, but nothing far-gone! We're quite grateful, but hope that all those harder hit are somewhat toasty tonight. :(

Unknown said...

America is sooo cold. In Texas it has been in the 20 and 30s.

Let's just say I have internet friends that are like "Yeah, it's -14 or -1 out or somthing outside."

Haha, suckers I live in Texas soo yeah. Lol, jk people.

But I really hope that's your ok :)

Well, at least it's cold, but no wind chill. So, i'm lucky on the factor.

margaret mcallister said...

Kaitlin, Sam, I'm so glad you're all right. Snow is beautiful, but the thrill wears off after a while.

JonnyK44 said...

Catching up on some of your blog posts. It has been a busy (not for the good reasons) kind of week.
I'm in Southeastern Pennsylvania, right at the spot where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland all meet (I'm 5-10 minutes from each of those states). Anyway, it was extremely cold here for a couple of days this week. Nothing like Chicago, but it was 5 degrees F (about -15C) with wind chills of -22F (-30C). Cars weren't starting in some areas, and the rain and snow that followed left everything covered in ice.
Today it is pouring rain and so foggy in some areas that you can't drive (I'm sure you know nothing about fog in England). Everything is mud and slop outside. A good day to stay indoors with my girls and read a book, bake a cake, play games, and most likely play something with a dollhouse where I get yelled at for doing it wrong.