Thursday 6 February 2014

Back to the Village

Today started early, and I don't usually do early. I had a phone interview with a radio programme for their Inspirational Breakfast slot. To me an inspirational breakfast is warm croissants or fruit bread and those lovely crisp orange slice things that we had in New York, but to the radio station it's some nice music and me talking about Why You Should Read Stories To Your Children. I hope I made sense.

Then it was a two and a half hour drive back to the village where we used to live to bid farewell to Donald - Yorkshireman, Christian ,family man, artist, musician, mountain climber and thoroughly good and remarkable man. We arrived in time for lunch at the little cafe with a few friends, as we always used to do after toddler group on Thursdays. The church was packed for Donald. His daughter read Psalm 121 and every word rang. He loved his music, and wouldn't have been disappointed today. 'Lord, lettest now thy servant depart in peace...'. It was also a time of getting together with so many friends from the village and feeling as if we'd never been away. What a community.

And to crown the day we had an hour with The Golden Child and her family. The Golden Child is now four, and as delightful as ever. She offered the biscuits round and when I chose a plain one she came around for a second pass and pressed an Oreo into my palm. We left in darkness and in sluicing rain but still made it back in two and a half hours, fuelled by love and Oreos.

No comments: