Friday 25 April 2014

Will Power

On 23 April 1574 - or close enough - Mr and Mrs Shakespeare's little lad was born. What a good thing that turned out to be.

One of our bears - a present some years ago from Daughter when she was playing and teaching flute in Stratford-on-Avon - is dressed in Elizabethan costume, so what with the costume and coming from Stratford, we call him Will. Will may be a small bear but he has a big personality and a remarkable brain. He makes an excellent mascot at church quizzes and has a great success rate.

Yesterday - a day after Will's Day - I took Will with me to a literary quiz as part of the local book festival. I didn't know anybody there and teamed up with a few other waifs, strays and orphans who didn't know anybody either. Will became our mascot and the sixth member of our team and we called ourselves Will Power. (Many years ago when I was a student one of my favourite things was my Will Power badge, bought at a Royal Shakespeare Company production.)

Though I say it as shouldn't, we were a formidable team. So were some other people (the place was full of librarians and Book Club members) and competition was tough. We won by one point. Will has been punching the air and dancing on tables ever since and I've made new friends. Result.

On 23 April 1616 Will Shakespeare died at home in his bed (probably the second best one.) He had become ill after a night drinking with his old friend Ben Jonson and a long walk home in the rain. Sweet Swan of Avon, Will and I salute you.

No comments: