Friday 30 January 2015

Here we go!

Yesterday was the Big Launch of Fifteen Things Not To Do With A Baby. I'm too old to get this excited about a party. I met my agent from the train at Newcastle and - after a restorative coffee - off we went to Seven Stories, the National Centre for Children's Books. Holly Sterling, the illustrator, and I were whisked off for an interview while a few earlybirds got a tour of Seven Stories, from the Creation Station in the basement through the bookshop and the exhibition galleries to the Story Space in the attic. I want Seven Stories to put in a bedsit so I can move in.

The Story Space is magical. Wooden beams with fairly lights on them, dressing up clothes, books, some very goodnatured bears, and The Storyteller Chair. I have now sat on The Storyteller Chair (but not on the bears). Holly and I are both small, so there was room for both of us on there. The day before, The Duchess of Cornwall (Mrs Prince Charles) had visited Seven Stories, so I hope she got to sit in The Storyteller Chair too.

There was a bit of a chance to chat and then some little speeches, (including mine) and Joseph Coelho - a performance poet and a lovely guy - read out the text. The the selling and signing began, and went on non-stop for the rest of the evening. I haven't had a fanfare like this about a book for a long time, and it was such fun - and enormous thanks to all those who came to support us. Love you.

I have to say that Fifteen Things is achieving great things. Since it was published, not one child has sent up her baby brother in a hot air balloon. As far as I know. And my name is in the Visitor's Book just after Camilla's.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time!

margaret mcallister said...

It was such fun! Only Holly and I didn't get to mix as much as we'd have liked because there was such a queue of people wanting books signed!

Don't you love the Storyteller Chair!

Holly Sterling said...

It was a brilliant evening Margi. Was so lovely to meet your friends and family. It was a shame we didn't get to mingle as much as we would've liked, but we had to work to do signing all those books! It was exhausting! :) thanks again for writing that brilliant story! x x

Unknown said...

I ment to put this eariler,but, yes. I did like the storytellers chair. Somehow the back of it sorta makes me think of the throne on Mistmantle.