Thursday 12 March 2015

Ook

I haven't sent out any news from The House of Stories for about a week, largely because I've had a little running away trip to be on my own and sort some stories out. I was thinking about all the things I'd tell you, and then I heard today's news.

Sir Terry Pratchett, author of Discworld, genius, warm, funny writer and probably one of the best novelists of the twentieth century, has died. He was suffering from early Alzheimer's disease, and died at the age of 66. He had wanted the option to choose the time and manner of his death, but ultimately that was a decision he didn't have to make, as he died naturally, leaving behind the illness that was eroding his brain. It's a bitter-sweet day, mourning his loss and being so glad that he didn't have to endure any longer. And memories of favourite Discworld quotes and characters have kept me company all day and make me want to run straight back to the books.

Sir Terry, Lord Vetinari could not detain you when the time came. You are beyond even the considerable reach of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. Not even Granny Weatherwax on her broomstick could catch up with you now. (Oh dearie, dearie me.) Thank you for Nanny Ogg, Sam Vimes, Captain Carrot, Tiffany Aching, CMOT Dibbler, Cheery Littlebottom and Detritus the Troll. Thank you LYS for introducing me to them. I was wondering what suitable comment to make, and LYS provided it. In the words of the Librarian of Unseen University, who was accidentally turned into an orang-utan and chose to stay that way,

Ook.

No comments: