Friday 24 July 2015

elephant...

A little game, or writing exercise, to be going on with. A certain inspiring teacher out there might like to keep it in mind for when school re-opens. Apologies if I've told you before.

Many years ago when the children were all teenagers or nearly teenagers, LYS was watching a football match on television. He had decided to marry off his sister to a wealthy international footballer - I don't mean any wealthy international footballer in particular, any of them would do. I insisted on checking out this potential son-in-law first.

"He'll do," he said. I can't remember who the footballer was, and I wouldn't tell you if I did, but I think he was South American. "She could marry him."

"No she can't," I said. "I know about him. He doesn't speak any English and she only does French, they won't understand each other."

"That's fine, if they don't speak the same language it won't matter what she says to him. She can say anything, she can say elephant banana follicle."

Elephant, banana, follicle? He had no idea why he said that. Still hasn't. From that day on, I have been trying to get 'elephant banana follicle' into a book. I have failed beautifully, but that doesn't stop you trying. There you are, a game for long car journeys or a writing game to wake up the creativity fairy. Make up a sentence/short story including the words 'elephant, banana, follicle'. You could do a poem, but maybe you shouldn't try to make it rhyme.

Have fun!











2 comments:

Songmorning said...

It's the word "follicle" that really makes this hard. When does that word even come up in ordinary conversation?

Marmalade Butter, the elf with ADHD, might actually use those words in his usual dialogue.

My mind is working on the question.

margaret mcallister said...

I want to know about Marmalade Butter! Tell me more!

If you were a hairdresser, or maybe a dermatologist, you might think a lot about follicles. Men going bald are 'follically challenged'. (I'm not sure how to spell follically, or follicly, or whatever it is.) You never see an elephant with curls, however many bananas it eats, because they have the wrong sort of follicles.