Friday 28 August 2015

Alnmouth

The Cahooties were here a few days ago, and the sun was so happy that it shone beautifully for them. We pointed the car north-east and the first stop was Morwick Mill. When I was a very new Girl Guide, Morwick Mill was a cold soggy campsite. Now it's home to Daisy the Cow and her friends who make the yummiest of ice creams at royaldouble.com/. First time I've ever had amaretto ice cream. Next time Turkish Delight. Sadly the wasps like ice cream too, so we ate in the cafe instead of sitting in the sun.

Then Alnmouth beach. Oh! I carry Alnmouth beach around in my heart, but after a while the colours fade, and when I go back it takes my breath away all over again. The great wide spaciness of it, the changing blue and white of the summer sky, the dazzle over the vast water, the drifting patterns on the sand. Above it stands St Francis House, where the Franciscan brothers live. Their chapel looks over the sea and is the original of the Gathering Chamber on Mistmantle. From there Urchin, Needle and their friends would run down to the shore and splash about. Between that edge-of-the-land stretch of Alnmouth and Mistmantle shore there is no clear dividing line. It's a breathy, unspoilt place. You can breathe the sky.

Finally we went on to Alnwick Garden at www.alnwickgarden.com, where small people in fairytale costumes went on magical treasure hunts, the fountains sprayed sparkly cold water on to hot arms and faces, the flowers were spectacular, and yes, I did do the wobbly bridges in the tree house. I have very special and happy memories of going round there with The Mistmantle Pilgrims from Virginia some years ago. We even saw Lady Aspen's garden.

Finally to Barter Books, one of the best second hand bookshops in the world, and over to my sister's to flop down at the tea table. A long drive home at night, and a face to face encounter with a barn owl. What a spectacular day. Alnmouth beach stays with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you had such a lovely time! Ugh, I'm jealous though..... I want some of that ice cream! XD Alnmouth sounds so beautiful. Yet another reason why I must get to England someday.....

margaret mcallister said...

Yes, come to the England and make sure you get to the north! There are castles, beaches, wild places, squirrels, and some truly great ice cream places...