Friday 19 February 2016

Floor

Floor. The House of Stories is missing one.

What happened was, we had a little problem with damp and called the experts in. It turned out that the little problem with damp was due to the previous dishwasher which must have been dripping from a dodgy pipe since before it was even invented. All the horrible kitchen units that I never liked in the first place are lying around looking beaten up and insensible. There are joists to be replaced and a big hole where the floor ought to be. However, those nice lads have tidied up after themselves and patched up so that we have running water and something to walk on over the weekend.

Their contract is to put everything back once they've finished. We've talked about that. No way. I never liked those fitted cupboards in the first place and there is no way they're going back in my kitchen. What would Crackle think of a fitted kitchen? Precious little, I imagine. I want real cupboards and I don't mind getting them from an old curiosity shop. What else would I like? A washing pulley for the laundry, enough space for my old kitchen table, two scullerymaids, and a cook.

No comments: