Monday 2 May 2016

Roly Poly People

http://www.cluniemusic.com/heather.htm

There is a song called 'Song for the Roly Poly People' which I think is by Judy Small (apologies if I got this wrong.) I've heard it sung by the delightful Heather Innes, and you can find more about her on the link above. Tony and I first met Heather at Alnwick Music Festival many years ago when she sang her way into our hearts. I can't find a clip of Heather singing it, but if you search about you'll find a version of Roly People People somewhere. It's about celebrating the roly poly people.

Models, dancers, and a lot of actresses are stick thin. The Duchess of Cambridge is a healthy young woman if ever we saw one, but as soon as she stepped out of hospital with a new baby in her arms the nitpickers were remarking on the 'baby weight'. And because there is, let's face it, a problem of obesity, we're all being advised to shape up. Fair enough. And I'm not defending myself here, because I'm pretty scrawny.

BUT

some people are roly poly because they just are. Their genes make them curvy. Some people can wolf down a full English breakfast and wash it down with milk shake and still stay thin. Some just have to nibble an oatcake and it goes straight to the hips and stays there. We are all different, surely we realise that by now? Some people are rounded. Get over it!

And some of the people I love most are roly poly people. I love big, sensible, roly poly women. I remember reading about a roly poly lady who ran a woman's refuge. She'd stand between a frightened woman and an angry man, blocking out the daylight, and nobody messed her about. Big strong, roly poly women can walk into a room and you know everything's going to be all right. If you're sad, roly poly ladies will wrap you in their arms and protect you. If you're hungry, they'll feed you. If you're afraid, they'll protect you like a mother bear with her cub. They are built for comfort, not speed. I owe my sanity (what's left of it) to roly poly women. If you can get internet in heaven, Sandie Maude and Mary Kelly, this includes you.

If you're one of those readers who wants more Mistmantle, think of Apple, one roly poly squirrel with a big heart and a big hat. And remember - never trust a thin cook.

2 comments:

Elinor said...

I'm very roly poly at the minute.

margaret mcallister said...

Munchkin!